EQ Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovintoit, May 28, 2003.

1. Groovintoit

May 28, 2003
    This might be a stupid question, but when I play with my band, I have a hard time Cutting through the mix. I currently play a Cort Curbow through a Carvin R1000. Is there anything I can do with my EQ to get some more cut and definition without getting Twangy or thin sounding?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    boost the mids
    the neat tone you get from a "smiley face" eq sometimes doesn't cut it in a full band setup
    or you could cut the lows a bit and then bring the overall volume of the amp up
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    What size speakers are you using? 10's, 15's, etc?
  4. Groovintoit

May 28, 2003
    I am currently using a 15, but normally during rehersal, I am running through the Front End.(Into a DI, to the Board, and out 2 15" eV Speakers w/ a horn and 15" subs on the bottom. That is where I'm not cutting through.
  5. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Easy. Tell the damn guitarist to TURN DOWN!:D
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Easier said than done, man :D
  7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    First,try boosting the mids on the board. If they are sweepable,try it around 700-800 hz. That should help articulate your notes. Watch out that you don't boost TOO much, or you'll end up sounding like you're playing in a tin can.

For your rig, 15's aren't really the best speaker for "cutting through". You would get much better results if you ran 10's with the 15 (maybe a 2x10 cab. 12's could work nicely by themselves, but it's your preference. If your PA is powerful enough to handle the low end, you might not need any more than a 2x10 for use as a monitor.