1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EQ+Effects=problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Apr 6, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    When i use the EQ on my ashdown electric 180 combo amp set high so the tone will overdrive natrually overpowers all my effects. Is there anything i can do so i can overdrive the amp and still be able to use effects at the same time? The amp also has effect loop i haven't tried using it because i don't have enough cable but if that would fix the problem i would gladly get it.

Plus: the amp has an EQ on/off switch so if there is some kind of pedal or something that i can get to turn off and on by foot?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Is it safe to be overdriving the amp via the EQ?

3. You didn't specify exactly which amp you had, but the manual for that series seems to suggest that there's a footswitch jack on the back panel. Any toggling (not momentary) footswitch should do the trick.

Borrow a cable and try the FX loop. If it doesn't work, then you haven't wasted any money.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, borrow a cable or two. But even so, did it ever hurt to have a couple of spare cables around? Go for the gusto.

5. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    i dont think you can footswitch the eq on the electric blue amp or the MAGs only on the ABM series. surely overdriving the amp with the eq is gonna damage your speakers, isnt it?

6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    no there is an imput meter so i know when its too much. I borrowed a cable today to check. All i do to overdrive is turn the imput and the bass up high on the EQ