Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Fix to a Boomy Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keoliphant, Mar 4, 2004.

1. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I just started playing at a new church & the sound guy has been saying the bass is too Boomy! (We're in a big gymnasium until a church is built) The sound guy has me cranking my mids all the way down....he says especially in the 800(hz? khz?) frequency. Does this make sense? Is there a better frequency range to scoop?

One item to note, I played at an open mic last week for the first time and I definitely noticed the boom there!

Suggestions PLEASE!!!

KenO.

2. When I run sound in "boomy" areas, first I try cutting the bass, not the midrange, though different roomss may vary. Generally I start dialing off below 200 hz, with the bass almost completely cut at anything below 100. Of course, this is for drastic occassions. 800 seems high IMHO but perhaps the sound man has a better feel for the room...

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Boom is generally a lower frequency than 800hz. Maybe the sound guy was saying 80hz? (seriously, 800hz is a high note on a geetar, for bass purposes it is hi-mids i.e only harmonic content)

I would try to see what happens when you turn the bass knob down, or work with frequencies below 150hz to start. Basically what you've been doing.

Other possibilities: the bass is bleeding into another mic, the lowend is cranked on the PA, and finally the soundguy has no clue.

4. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, I've played "rooms" like that! Cut the bass all the way as has been said and, if anything, boost the mids rather than cut as it will give you more note definition.

5. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    Are you playing on a balcony or hollow stage? Your amp might be coupleing with the floor to give you a boomy sound. If permissable try putting your amp on some milk crates. Doing this has solved this problem for me in the past.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    If the sound guy really said to dial *out* 800 hz, he's basically asked you to remove most of the definition of your sound. Usually, in boomy situations, you'd dial *in* 800hz...and then maybe dial out below about 100 hz.

7. "mud" is usually around 200Hz ... 800 is too high.