Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ for alternative?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Dec 23, 2000.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i've got a boss Bass EQ and i can't seem to get the right tone for bands such as pearl jam, STP, and creed...any suggestions?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Tone is so much more than just EQ, my friend. If you don't have anything of e.g. Ament tone without the EQ box, you certainly won't get it with the box.

Since you're apparently too ashamed (?) to give us the name of your bass and amp (I know how you feel, I've been there as well ;)), this is all I can tell you...

3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i'm using an RJ bass i think it's filipino made
    it's a jazz type and it sux asss and i have a crate 15w amp

there....i said it! lol

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    See? There's no way you'll ever get a thousand-dollar-plus-sound out of a 15w Crate...! And since you said your bass sucked, well...

Be happy as you are or start saving! :)

5. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i know that but can you at least give me some tips on the EQ?

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    As far as stp goes, there is a brighter quality to the tone.. so the eq would probably be like a smiley face eq.. Most pearl jam that I've heard has more emphasis on the mids on lows.. So, boost them a bit and slope down the highs a bit.. To my understanding also, pearl jam's bassist uses a fretless at times to.. Just my 2 cents ;)

7. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    thank you!

8. he also plays 8 and 12 string basses...save up a lot!