Eq for outside gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Jun 20, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    what sort of eq settings would anyone suggest if im to play in a band situation outside. what eq settings would help me be heard and also cut through.

heres a list of my stuff

Trace elliot ah3007(7 band eq 50hz 100hz 250hz 500hz 1khz 2khz 5khz)
    Two Trace elliot 4x10s(one with tweeter the other without)

volume wise ill be fine with that setup but what eq settings would help me cut through better?
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The difficult thing about outdoor gigs is that you usually don't have any surrounding walls to help keep your low end tight and present. A lot of times, I've found that I had to crank up my low frequencies to compensate, which in turn changes how you sound in the mix. While I haven't found a tried-and-true system for avoiding this, I've learned to become more conservative in how I change my EQ, particularly the low end. I generally cut back on the highs and add just a little bass, and then turn up my overall volume. This way, I don't get too boomy, but I also don't overpower everyone when I add a little juice. The best way is to experiment with your rig, which will require some trial and error.

...or you could just buy a Schroeder. :D
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What hollowman said is very true: sound, particularly low end, can dissipate. But low end eats up a lot of power: if you boost lows to compensate, be careful not to overdrive your amp or damage your speakers.

If you want to "cut through", it can be better to boost low mids... and maybe even cut the lowest lows a smidge. That'll also increase your apparent headroom.

Can we assume that your bass won't be going through a PA system?
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Small changes in general. I'd cut a bit of the low bass and compensate with low mids for the reasons above and also in some outdoor settings you can find gnarly bass traps and reflections from nearby buildings / obstacles. Each setting is unique in other words. Hopefully you can get a decent sound check and have a trusted resource out front for feedback on the mix, barring a soundman that is aware ...

If there is a full on PA. You could consider putting your rig side stage and playing as low as you can. I did that for a few years and found that it really helped the over all mix. It made me migrate from the 8x10 setup to a number of 1x15's which were truy utilized as bass monitors. I never got the 'great sounding bass' comment but I did get 'you guys sound great' ... I'll take that one anyday...
  5. +1 on the low mid boost.

I did an outdoor show this past Saturday (admittedly with PA reinforcement) and the low mid kick really seemed to help things on stage. :)