Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ for P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I'm just about to fit a Seymour Duncan 1/4pounder to my P-bass, does any one have any EQ ideas (other than just a simple pot and cap).

Hope you can help.

Chris

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    An extreme option might be the new Raven Labs drop-in preamp - click.

A coupla' simpler options (but involving pot & cap)...
    • Replace the tone pot with a pot w/a switch on the back.
      Switch between two radically different capacacitors -
      say, a .220 and .050 .
    • Replace the tone pot with a dual-concentric one. Have the
      top control as a shelving R/C filter for "bass", the other for "treble".

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I now have the J-Retro BTB-01 (Bass/Treble/Bright) onboard preamp available for P-Bass or any other single pot retrofit. It was designed by John East who also designed the J-retro and U-Retro preamps and is the center pot of the J-Retro preamps with bass boost, treble boost & cut and a pull pot bright feature as well. They'll be available after the NAMM Show for $129.00 US.
    [​IMG]

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Dude,
    is there enough room in the P routing for a 9 volt battery? is the installation so easy as the j retro?

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    John East sent me this a couple of days ago.

'I would love to make a P-Retro but I haven't figured out a scheme for batteries etc. Easier with a J with removable plate etc.'

As soon as i know more, i'll post.

Chris

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    John has made me a few P-Retro's on a custom order basis. Most of them to date have been for P/J configurations like a few that went into some '80's Fender P-Elite II's and recent Hot Rod P-Basses. It all depends on what year your P-Bass is and the shape & size of your control cavity. Fender P-Bass control cavity routing has not been very consistant from year to year (at least not as consistant as in Jazz's. A easy way to check is to remove your pickguard and see if there is a spot anywhere in your cavity wide enough to lay a 9 volt battery down on it's side. If you can then we should be able to make something up on a custom order basis.

I spoke to Dan Lakin this morning and he told me that he will have a Bob Glaub at the NAMM Show this week with one of Steve Rabe's new preamps in it and I'll check it out and report back.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here's a photo of the control cavity in a '99 Fender Hot Rod P-Bass. As you can see it's pretty tight and if you look toward the left side of the photo where the ground wire is screwed in there is a little section where it's not so deep as where the pots fit in to the right side of the photo. This little shelf would need to be routed out to fit in a 9V battery. The simple test would be like I said above...remove your pickguard and see if a 9V battery would lay down anywhere inside your cavity.

[​IMG]

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The new Raven Labs P-Bass preamp is powered by two lithium coin cell batteries so there is no need to try to tuck in a 9V battery. It's a very intersting design and I'll take a close look at it at NAMM. John East's single stacked pot BTB-01 as shown above should fit into the tone pot hole of most P-Basses but you still need to contend with where to stash the battery. In Raven Lab's preamp the tone knob boosts the bass in one direction while slightly cutting the treble. In the opposite direction, it boosts the treble while slightly lowering the bass response. John East's BTB-01 is essentially the middle stack pot found on his J & U Retro preamps which allows for totally independent bass boost, treble boost or cut plus a pull pot bright feature so it's a bit more versatile than the Raven Labs design....BUT (and this is a big BUT) the Raven Labs preamp should simply drop into any P-Bass known to man without any modifications or routing! My hat is off to Mr. Rabe for coming up with this design! I also don't know what his pricing will be on these units!

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here's some specs on the BTB-01 just in from John East:

This in from John East...price in the US is $125

BTB-01
    TREBLE (+12dB @ 3 kHz, -12dB @ 1kHz)
    The upper knob is the Treble control with boost and cut. The central 'flat' position is indented. The cut settings work on lower frequencies compared to boost to give a deeper sound when the top is rolled off.

BRIGHT (+8dB @ 7kHz)
    Pull the Treble knob for the Bright setting.

BASS (+15dB @ 50Hz)
    The lower outer knob is the boost only Bass control. The frequency band of boost gets progressively lower as the boost is increased. An indent midway is included to aid the setting of this control.

CONTOUR
    A very gentle built in contour gives immediate colour without detracting from the basic sound of any bass.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks Dude! really helpful and interesting point!

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    You're welcome! I'll check out the Raven Labs P-Bass preamp at NAMM this week and report back. It looks super sweet.