1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ for P-bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I wonder what EQ frequensis makes the P-bass sound? For EQ i use a Boss GEB-7 pedal, any recommendations on a upgrade? Pedal/rack doesn't matter.

2. It's not that simple. It depends on what bass you are trying to make sound like a p-bass. 1st borrow a p-bass for comparison, then start tweaking the EQ on your bass with the p-bass as your control example. If the your bass has 2 pup's turn off the bridge pup. That will do a lot to bring you to the p-bass tone. Have fun............

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also the difference in sound is not just a question of boosting or cutting broad bands of frequencies.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    first of all i have a P-bass and it's not a question 'bout what I personally should do i wonder what you people think EQ wise is THE P-bass sound

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    To get the P-Bass sound? Cut the tone on your bass to at least 50%. Keep the amp flat, or maybe slightly boost the bass on your amp and slightly cut the treble. Flats will be key to the tone as well. ...and pluck farther up close to the neck. Of course, YMMV.

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    My favorite P-bass tone is to crank the passive treble knob all the way up and run the amp EQ with a SLIGHT mid scoop. Oh, and play with a pick. I always think P-Basses sound best with a pick.

Notice I did not say "best," just my favorite.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It depends on the amp used, strings and playing technique too. Some amps I can set everything on the amp eq at 12 o'clock, cut the tone control back on my P and it sounds like a P should. Direct into the board it sounds like a P should. Some amps I can fiddle for hours and still not get a sound I like, although it does still sound much like a P bass.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I like the sound of my p bass with the tone rolled completely off.