Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eq formations and shapes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Dec 13, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I've started to notice a trend in the shape of EQ settings. Is there a website or information on the different shapes or formations of eq.
    I currently have mine set to a S turned to it right and flipped horizontally.

i know there are others like the "smiley face" or an S turned sidways...

basically what i want to know if there is a general rule of thumb for the shapes and formations they make

2. Here's a link you can check out to learn lots about EQ (probably more than you wanted to know.)

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php

The important part is not to worry about the visual shape as much as the resulting sound.

Every amp maker will use different equalizer components and will arrange it slightly differently. Some have 10 bands, other 3. Some use knobs instead of sliders - they do they same things. About the only thing in common is that the sliders usually go from bass to treble from left to right.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    EQ shapes are largely irrelevant because the number of sliders and the frequency/Q those sliders affect varies greatly from one sort to another. It's really not a good way to approach EQing, as the best sounds often come from using less EQ than any 'formation' would use.

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i understand its not what i shouldn't bass it off, i just wanted to know how they were associated for different tones.

im having troubles getting an eq to match my guitarists tone, and hes stubborn and want change his. i understand how the eq works and is associated to certain frequencies, i just can't pick out which frequencies im missing or have too much have.. i get it close, but not quiet enough

5. not sure I understand the question really...?

6. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i was just wondering if there was a page that had pictures of different shapes of eq. im not concerned about how many bands, just a general shape of the eq and what is represents.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... setting EQ according to shapes and letters?

next thing you know it,

you'll start living your life according to the stars and zodiac signs.

:smug:

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA