1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EQ frequencies after OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 09wkd, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 09wkd

09wkd

Jan 13, 2016
    Not sure of the wording to search for my question so I apologize if it's been answered. I basically want to know how to determine which frequencies to boost with a 10 band EQ after an overdrive sucks some of the tone out. I know usually it's the lower range, but how would I figure out how much of each band to boost/cut to get it to sound transparent?

2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Why can't you try it out and see what sounds good? (Can plug something like a Ditto looper in front to make hand-on experimentation a bit easier) Start by putting all the slider a bit below unity and then boosting each one of them all the way up one at a time. You'll quickly see which is which.

3. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    +1,000,000. You'll never find the answer that's right for you unless you actually do it and listen with your own ears. You're initial hunch is on the right track, so experiment accordingly.

ProfFrink likes this.
  4. Well, some OD's give you MORE of a certain frequency. Sometimes you can even boost that area further to get what you want.

So it's not all about compensating for something. Sometimes you just want more of it.

5. 09wkd

09wkd

Jan 13, 2016
    Ty for the advice everyone! I'll have to fiddle around with it some more.