EQ: Graphic vs. not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groveofbass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. So what do you say? graphic eq versus not graphic eq?

also, are the any advantages to having a separate pre amp from your power amp instead of having one head?
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm becoming more of a fan of non-graphic EQ. Less stuff to tweak to get my tone. My Hartke has a graphic and I keep it nearly all flat with some mid boost
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    graphic is OK, not my favorite. probably my least favorite. way too much temptation to mess with all those bands. the fixed frequencies arent always in the right spots, and the bandwidths can be screwy. my favorite is an amp with bass and treble shelving comtrols and then 2 fully parametric bands in the middle. 3 or 4 semi parametric bands is a good second. but a well voiced B-M-T is really cool too. IMO, get an amp you like the flat tone of and use the EQ to correct for room anomalies.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I prefer my graphic EQ. I like being able to compensate for any changes (room acoustics, instruments, cabs, etc) that I might encounter.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The problems with a graphic have more to do with the componants then the actual EQ's themselves, Most lower priced Graphics (common on bass pres) have crosstalk between frequencies, so when you move the slider your probably effecting the surrounding frequencies almost as much as the slider centers, very impreecise. Where as most para metrics seem to isolate frequencies better giving you more control to isolate a dead spot or a "hot" frequency. Scince I got my Avalon U5 I just use my EQ for compansating for the room, If you have a quality instrument you shouldn't need alot of EQ to get "your tone". As far as graphics there are some good ones Klark Teknic and Rane make some excellent units, I haven't seen a good one built into a bass head yet! On the other hand the para-metrics in Eden, Agullar, Demeter, Euphonic, GK, Glockinlag, SWR, and Mesa to name a few are pretty good units.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I certainly haven't played them all, but I've found that most bass pre's with graphic EQ's take more tinkering to get a good tone, whereas most other bass pre's are designed and voiced to be good right out of the box, set flat.
  7. If possible, I'll take both a 3-band semi parametric and a graphic EQ. That way I can do the majority of the shaping with the parametric and the details with the graphic.

If I had to choose just one, I'd probably say parametric although I could get by either way.

As far as the advantages to going rack vs using a head, you should do a search - it's been discussed many times. A good one word answer is flexibility.