1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ help for my jazz bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bearclaw87, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bearclaw87

bearclaw87

Mar 9, 2010
    So I have just been called to fill in for a fellow bassist in Church this Sunday, and my main bass is getting re-wired! So I will have to make do with my untested project bass, an alder/maple passive jazz bass with Fender USA pickups (60s spacing) now strung with sadowsky nickels.

I usually don't have much time to play with my tone during sound check, just looking for some general recommendations for eq settings to get me into the ballpark tone to cut through the mix. Some details:

Band setup: Drums, keyboard, acoustic guitar and bass. We play mostly contemporary worship songs (e.g. hillsongs, Chris Tomlin stuff etc.)

My rig: Bass --> Tuner --> Zeibek Sub clone --> Daring Audio Phat Beam Compressor --> Boss GEB-7 --> Radial J48 into FOH.

Playing along to some backing tracks, I have the preliminary settings of neck at 90%, Bridge 100%, Tone 80%, with eq boost to 100hz, minor cuts at 500hz and 800hz, LPF set around 5khz and light compression. Seems to give me a clean and thick tone. But playing live may be a totally different story.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I usually eq to the room once I'm there, then again once we start playing

3. I would suggest moving the Submarine to just before the J48.