Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eq help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Jul 3, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    how should you set you eq for playing slap i have a carvin pb 100 .please liek i can slap and stuff but like ic ant set my amp right

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Something I read said that you should use mainly bass and treble, not much midrange. I guess because when you pop its mostly highs and use your thumb is all bass. I don't know just something I remembered.

3. The way I have my EQ set up for slapping is sorta complicated. I guess you could say its sort of a J. I use a 7 band EQ and this is how I set it. The lower end I set in the middle with a dip all the way to the bottom in the middle settings. Then I bring up the high ends sequentially until the top Freq. is all the way up.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ben - Don't forget to use that compressor, a control slappers depend on. Having lots of peaks jump out from your speaker makes your slapping sound like a mess.

And I think your amp model has Carvin's 3-band pre-shape filter. It has much more basic effect than EQ. Cut out the mids and see how you like it. There's no rules written for slap bass control settings. Players just twiddle knobs and buttons till it pleases them and the audience.