Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eq help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I want to get a solid low end funky sound out of my amp, I've got a six-band eq, I've tried many combinations but there's always either too much treble,not enough mids or not enough bass. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Maybe you're just tweaking the amp too much? Go from a totally flat EQ, play for a while, and see what's missing? Lows? Give it some more, but just a small boost, like +2 dB or so. Play it again for a couple of minutes... sounds better... ah, still missing lows? Boost them a little more, then. Repeat until you're happy with your EQ. And remember, what sounds good soloed usually doesn't mix well in a band, so when you get to play in a band, you probably need a different EQ setting...

Oh, I really hate graphic EQ... I used to play through a 7-band TE head, and a (awkward) Peavey cab, and I never could find an EQ setting I liked. On my EBS combo, I have a semi-parametric EQ, which is MUCH easier to work with, and I almost run it flat - a little cut around 1 kHz, a little boost on the lows, and I cut the highs on my bass's preamp when needed.

3. Oysterman has the right approach to this type of experiment. And I learned as much when I was racing cars. Speed was the name of the game, but there were soooo many possible adjustments on the car that doing everything all at once usually resulted in slowing the car down. The upshot is to make one change at a time, evaluate it's effect, then determine whether you should continue or return it to the starting point. That way - a process of elimination - you can rule out the adjustments that certainly DON'T work and concentrate on those that do.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tuck Andress has some good advice: set the EQ to flat, and cut the offending frequencies rather than boosting the ones you desire. It helps if you have some idea where the fundamentals and overtones of various notes reside along the Hz scale.