Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ in signal path question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wireking1, Jan 5, 2005.

1. I am seeking opinions on how to run the signal for my updated rack setup. Here are my components and proposed signal path:

Jazz Bass > Presonus Bluemax compressor > Sansamp bddi > Presonus EQ > Prresonus Bluetube preamp > QSX RMA-1450

My logic is this: compress the signal, then get my tone from sanasmp, then EQ it as needed and finally warm it up with the tube preamp.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Edit: Also.... should I used balanced trs cables between the units or are ts cable fine?

2. Balanced or unbalanced lines beween the units?

What order should I use or at least where should I EQ?

Does anyone have any suggetions?

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One thing that might be an issue is that you're EQ'ing a compressed signal. I was having some problems with noise in my signal chain (actually my effects loop), but some friendly TB'ers clued me into the fact that EQ'ing a compressed signal can create some unwanted noise.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    id run into the di 1st (unless you need/want to send a compressed signal to a pa), then the compressor. if the preamp has an effects loop i'd put the eq in that.

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    try a few different combinations and see what works for you. personally would also try the comp right before the power amp and maby the sansamp first. depending on how agressive your playing style is and what you're trying to accomplish with your comp (speaker protection, squashed sound, or volume control between different playing styles) experimentation is the only way to go. noise should be about the same either way. (should but you never know till you try)

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I agree. Put your bass right into the tube and get good clean tone first, then compress/filter/whatever. Soundwise, you'll probably get more of your money's worth for the gear. I'd put the compressor as the absolute last stop before the power amp.

Lonnybass