EQ Issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by l1sten, Feb 18, 2010.

1. l1sten

l1sten

Feb 18, 2010
    I have been trying to work this simple 6-band active EQ. I basically scooped the mids and I really love the tone and growl I get from it set up like that, but the punch just isn't there the same way as when I keep it flat. Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep this punch while scooping the mids?
    Freq's are: 63 / 150 / 350 / 800 / 2K / 5K

A suggested set up for those bands is just as much appreciated as a quick fix to the problem. Thanks guys.

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Sorry, that's not possible.

:)

3. l1sten

l1sten

Feb 18, 2010
    ohh ok :( So basically it's just a compromise? In that case, what do you like for an eq shape then, if you don't mind answering. Say, -10 to +10 db on each band.

4. mid range = punch

5. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    With those bands my first try would be:

63: 0db
    150: +8db
    350: +10db
    800: 0db
    2K: 0db
    5k: +3db

Well, I assume that would be a tone for me. :)

Growl lives in the midrange, leave everything else flat (at zero).
    I like to boost the treble (shelving band) a bit, not too much.

6. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    That seems a little much but basically, more mids means more punch.

Less mids means less of everything, because most of your bass's harmonic content rests on those frequencies and are typically what you actually "hear" in the context of a band mix.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, I said that's how I would start off. Can always tune down.
    And I don't know which EQ pedal we are talking about. :)

OTOH on my equipment I have the low mids pretty high like that.
    And it works for me.

Growl and definition... to my ears.
    We are talking about abstract definitions though. ;)

Can you have growl and punch at the same time?

You are right that more mid-mids give more punch as what the OP is referring to.
    Growl lives in boosted low-mids.

Every advice on EQ would always be a bit vague. Trial and error.

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    While this approach is pretty typical, I suggest a different approach...

63: db
    150: -6db
    350: -2db
    800: 0db
    2K: 0db
    5k: -3db

and set the gain higher - so you get all the punch you lost scooping your mids.

Boosting on EQ should really be a last resort.

Cut out all the crap then add volume to compensate.

You'll be stronger, more defined, and have far less noise and distortion in your line.

Think of it this way: boosting frequencies is like trying to ram 20 people through a small door. sure it'll work but it's hard.

Take the people that don't need to go through that door, set them aside and then make the door BIGGER and everybody can just casually walk through at the same time.

the bigger the door the easier it is for people to run through.

Seeing that you're just shaping tone then heavy boosting shouldn't be an issue.

Cut out the muck then make the rest louder.

Start doing this and you'll start doing it everywhere...and your approach to tone will change considerably.

People always tell me how great my bass sounds and I just play a MIM JazzV. I run my amp's preamp hot enough to save me from boosting EQ. My rig sounds great because of it.

9. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    I would:

63: -1
    150: 0db
    350: 0db
    800: -3db
    2K: -5db
    5k: -8db

But you probably won't like it :)

10. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    which amp and speaker cab are also a big consideration. cabs are "tunes" to certain frequencies and will have a boost in that area. they do this to fake being louder than their competition. most companies boost in the 130 to 250hz range.

amp are similar but have more to do with their internal makings. gk amps tend to be very clean and very solid in the mids. tube amps are more mid lows and warm/muddy. combo amps can extend ranges very low and high thru simulations.

new strings and nickle strings are brighter than others. they can give the impression of mids boosting. how long since you have shanged your strings?

11. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Can you help me with that missonaries and cannibals on a boat trying to get to the island thing? It always gets me mixed up. :bag:

Seriously, that was a great analogy...well said.

12. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    A BIG +1!!!

The rule of thumb with graphic eq's (I assume you're using a graphic or simple cut/boost rotary - not a parametric) is cut first- only boost a fequency as a last resort. Then, increase overall volume to compensate. You'll find your' sound faster, avoid overloading gain stages downstream and reduce the chance of strange over-eq anomalies.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021