Eq kooked up to Sub amps.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Jul 10, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Can someone explain how and why this is done? We are going to be hooking up our pieced together PA and we have a couple eqs laying around. We are running 3 monitors and 2 mains, with 2 subs. We are running three amps. One for monitors, one for mains and a large amp for subs.

Also the amp I believe will be run in stereo. WIth one sub per side.

Pete where are you!!!
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You shouldn't need an eq for a sub amp, you need a crossover. That will split your signal into highs and lows. Feed the lows to the sub amp, and use the high signal to feed the mains and monitors. Put 1 eq on the mains and another on the monitors.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yup the subs have built in crossover.

OK will use one eq for monitors and one for mains.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Just got home from a gig that had a police crime scene going on outside.... but that's another thread.

I've never seen a seperate EQ for subs only, though I guess it could be done if you feel you have to. Usually the audio signal goes out from the desk, through a graphic EQ that takes care of the whole FOH, then onto a crossover does 2 things - 1) seperates highs from lows, and 2) splits the signal in 2. Everyone forgets about no 2.

You say the subs have a passive crossover. Fair enough, that's no 1 taken care of. But you'll probably need some sort of signal splitter. From what I can tell, and ignoring foldback for the moment, you've got 2 outputs on the desk (Left and right) feeding 4 power amp channels. If your desk has multiple main outputs, you're fine, but this is unlikely. Otherwise, you might consider trading in those spare graphics for an active crossover. From memory those subs could work either passive of active?

I don't have intimate knowledge of your setup Odie so I may be overlooking something. If so, let me know.