1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ on amp and bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Down_Low, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Sorry if this has been answered before, just did a search and couldn't find what I was after...

Just started playing seriously again, after a few years off (and before that, playing in punk bands). Have a new amp, and playing a different style of music. I'm wondering what are some EQ settings to start with to get a good tone?

Playing an Ibanez SR800 (active pickups, 4 EQ dials), and an Ashdown MAG600 thru a 410 cabinet.

Playing more rootsy, accoustic music, with a little bit of reggae thrown into the mix.

I know this is something that everyone does different, but a good starting spot would be great. Thanks for any advice!

Ry.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    How about flat? That's about the best starting spot you've got. Then you can work from there, but I almost always run my amps flat no matter what kind of music I'm playing, maybe just a little bit of an upper mid boost.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Personally, I run my bass flat, and cut back the treble and high-mids slightly on my amp to get rid of some of the Ibanez clack. Once I get around to switching to flats, I think I'll be flat all the way down the line.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Flat is the only place to start. If your bass has active eq be careful you don't double up on the frequencies. Ex: turning the bass knob up on the amp AND turning the bass control up on the instrument = bad. Or if you cut some nasally sounding mid frequency with the instrument control, then adding it back in with an amp control essentially leaving you back a zero or having steep peaks and valleys in the response. The freqency centers for the amps controls are in the manual, I'd find out what the centers are for the controls on the bass so you know what you're adjusting. It may be the equivalent of having 9 or 10 tone controls between amp and bass but having 2 or 3 of them set at the same spot pretty much negating each other.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    My method of choice is to start with everything flat/neutral. Play something, then eq the amp for the room to dial out any nasal, frequency spikes, so I get a solid neutral sound to work with. Any subsequent tone shaping needed for different songs are then controlled from the bass.