EQ Pedal Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Hello chaps and chapesses.

Need a bit of advice. I'm essentially looking for a small, off the shelf (rather than customer build) EQ pedal that will ideally provide the facility to boost at 60hz and also at 2khz.

I've currently got a budget 10-band graphic EQ, but only use those two bands, seems silly to have something that big taking up space.

Most of the 'Bass and Treble' EQs dont seem to go that low (or more correctly, they also boost frequencies above 60hz, which is not what im looking for) or boost at a higher frequency that i necessarily need.

Any ideas?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Empress ParaEQ

Gearhead17 likes this.
  3. Great pedal but farrrr too much for my needs. i've already got a 10 band eq pedal (mxr clone) which is able to boost the frequencies i want and I'm ideally looking for something simpler and smaller.

The old Dod bi-fet Preamp actually did both boosts (it sounded like) but not at the same time. The low end on that pedal is incredible.

The xotic bass RC Booster is voiced a little high.

I can't seem to find a simple preamp/eq pedal that wont boost higher frequencies that i need.

4. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    You have very specific needs, so unless you're willing to go the custom route, or are very lucky to find a pedal that does only and exactly what you're after, you're bound to get something that does a little more than you'd want !
    I use a WMD parametric EQ, it's a fully parametric 3 band EQ, and it's about the size of an MXR pedal.

[​IMG]

It's great and very versatile, but extremely sensitive, has a slight learning curve and will require some fiddling around to get it where you want it to be.

5. Im starting to agree wirth you. However I'm wondering whether the EHX Knockout might do what i need. Theres a few things I'm gonna try first though: a Xvive mini tone shaper eq. It may be awful or not what i want but it's cheap so worth a go.

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure there is any "off the shelf" boost or EQ pedal out there with the two specific frequencies you're looking for. The Empress and WMD are both excellent solutions that will allow you future flexibility, as well as an opportunity to fine tune your control over the two frequencies you are interested in now.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The Empress EQ is VERY CLEAN and QUIET. Some of the off the shelf EQ's don't sound very good at moderate to high settings and or add a degree of background hiss. Although it may be overkill, you will be hard pressed to find anything better.

Al Kraft likes this.
  8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    There's an excellent 2 band parametric eq in the relatively compact Zoom MS-60b. However, whether you want to use a digital multi-fx pedal for one effect is another matter entirely.

9. Thanks for all the advice and responses, got a few new pedals on the way that *may* do the trick

crapusername likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021