1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ pedal and active bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tbplayer59, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm not much of a pedal user, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does any one use an EQ pedal (or rack EQ) if their bass is active with onboard EQ? Maybe the question should be "should" anyone ever do that?

Is it redundant? Does it cause signal distortion?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I don't think it's redundant at all. As long as your gain staging is set up correctly, and you aren't pushing any frequencies your system can't accomodate, it should be no problem whatsoever.

I use both a graphic EQ pedal AND a rack parametric EQ, which serve different functions based on how I designed my rig.

My pedal graphic EQ allows me to push certain midrange frequencies (500 Hz) into my octave pedal and envelope filter, which really helps those effects speak with far greater clarity and response. I can also use it as a stomp box - for example - with a scooped mid setting, to make slapping sound incredible. Last, I can use my pedalboard as a completely portable alternative to a rack, and plug into any old backline and still have some degree of control over frequencies to sound like "me."

My parametric EQ is a part of my rack but does not go into the DI signal - it's simply for dial in my stage sound and pinpointing any weird rumble, standing waves or other odd things that come up. If an engineer tells me that 100 Hz is notoriously bad on a particular stage, I can notch that right outta there.

Lonnybass

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    It really depends on what you intend to use it for. You can add an EQ to your amp head to give you more tone options. Especially if the amp head only has three controls on it.

If you are adjusting tone controls on the bass CONSTANTLY, you have to keep in mind what you are sending the sound guy. A massive bass boost one song and something different another song can really annoy a sound guy.

The best thing to do is have EQ in front of your amp and make sure the path to your DI box is just your bass and some sort of mute switch. That way, the EQ box will mess with your stage tone only and the controls of your bass plus your hands will be feeding the sound guy. If your rig is miked, you have to mindful of what you are doing sound wise to your stage tone.