EQ Pedal - Bass or Guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PaulF, Sep 3, 2005.

1. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004

I'm considering an EQ pedal, but I've been looking at the Freq ranges covered by the Boss ones:
    GEB7 - 50,120,400,600,800,4.5k,10k
    GE7 - 100,200,400,800,1.6k,3.2k,6.4k

I'm surprised that the GEB goes up so high (10k for a bass?)

Also, my Amp has tone controls at:

I know that the Mid / HiMid / Treble are the areas I want to change (they give me variance from warm bass sound to funky 'enhanced mid' sound), and I know I'm not short of bottom end (the amp / 15"cab are often too bass heavy and I have to roll off some bottom end - there's a DEEP button at 50Hz that I often switch off, and also there's a high button at 10k which doesn't seem to make any difference at all (to my ears)).

I'm thinking the GE7 may be better for the frequencies I want to adjust, but will the circuitry be OK for running a bass through (or am I likely to lose the 'bottom end' of the sound becuase it's only designed for guitar)??

Anyone got any experience of runnig a bass through a GE7 (or similar)??

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I know that the guitar EQ would work fine, circuitry-wise, but you'll get much better results with the bass one. It's designed to change frequencies that'll most effect your sound. Certain frequencies on the guitar EQ just won't effect your tone enough, or in the right ways.
  3. Use both! 10khz is fine for some basses, particularly active ones. I use a little 10khz boost on my trace elliot head!