Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Pedal or Dual Band Compressor or both?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by akuma12, Aug 23, 2005.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I was wondering if there is a point to having an EQ pedal like the Boss GEB-7 AND the Digitech Bass Squeeze dual band comp, or if they both do the same thing? And if they do do the same thing, which would be better/more useful? Ideally I'd like both, but with the Bass Squeeze's ability to compress over 2 different sets of frequencies, I don't want to have a redundancy in my pedal board. Thanks for any replies.

Jim

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I have the GEB-7 as well. I don't think it's necessarily a substitute for a compressor. Compressors make things sound more professional, IMO, and they keep your speakers from blowing out when you accidently pop too hard or your fingernails scratch the strings or something. It keeps it from being too extreme. The GEB-7 will just keep boosting and cutting frequencies no matter what it's doing to your speakers. Especially in the low end 50 120 Hz. If you boosted those frequencies the full 15DB, the GEB-7 would certainly not care that it's completely blowing out your speakers.

-Eric.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    EQ's and ompressors are 2 different things. Both useful in the right situation. I find that the EQ on my bass and amp are sufficient - except when I play upright. I use a Fishman preamp with a 5 band EQ to help "tame the beast" so to speak.

I don't use much compression. Just a touch is plenty.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah but the Bass squeeze do affact the eq but i'm not saying it's an eq pedal.

5. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I play upright as well, and was actually curious if the GEB-7 would be sufficient as a preamp. The Ashdown MAG 300 I'll be getting soon really only has a 5 band EQ, so I was looking at an EQ pedal to add a bit more contour to my sound, and at the same time have the ability to turn it off to change it even more.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The GEB-7 would be great for you then. It has a level control as well if you wanted to really drive long cables or get super clean, powerful signals.

-Eric.