1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ Pedal, treble booster, recommendations sought!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I'm thinking of adding some kind of EQ pedal to use on a few songs where I would otherwise switch basses. For the most part I get my main tone from either my P-bass or my Guild JS-2 (EB3 like bottom-rocker), but on a few songs I typically have to switch to either my Stingray or Jazz bass to get the added treble (and bass-cut) that I need. By experimenting with my amp's EQ I can get the tones I want out of my two main basses, but it's impractical to start twiddling knobs on stage.

For something like this would I be best off using a Bass EQ pedal or is there another kind of pedal that might work? I've seen "treble boosters" for guitar, but they look more like overdrive pedals... I did a search and saw some people recommending the MXR 10-band, but I'd rather not use an 18volt adapter since I currently keep everything running through my one-spot.

Are there any other worthy options besides the Boss Bass EQ? (And no, i don't hate Behringer, but i don't trust them to make a road-worthy stompbox, sorry.)

2. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Yes, what are commonly referred to as "Treble Boosters" are more like overdrive pedals. They can work on bass, if you're using a tube amp they can make it sound like your amp is going to blow up.

I think MXR makes a 6 band EQ that you might want to look into.

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Hmm... amp blowing up sounds awesome on its own, but i'd probably do best to look elsewhere for these baritone-guitar-esque tones.

I looked at the MXR 6 band and it goes down to 100Hz... is that low enough to work effectively for bass?

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Depends on where you want your bands of EQ. I personally would go with a Boss Bass EQ, but if I remember correctly there are bass playing endorsers of the MXR 6 band. Whether the Boss or the MXR 6 band makes a better choice for you depends heavily on which one has EQ control over the bands you want to enhance/cut.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I think low E on a regularly tuned 4-string is around 82 Hz. The MXR should have no effect until that G#. Of course bass has a lot of overtones, so it would still colour every note.

I use a GEB-7 and could not be happier. Then again, I mainly use it for feedback, so a lot of things would make me pretty happy.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Actually the fundamental of the low E string is 41.2 Hz.

I know that's not what you meant, but it's not as if the EQ will have no effect below a certain note. Each frequency band will effect the harmonics of the note around where that band is located. Like I said, the question is, where do you want those bands to be? There's no rule saying you have to boost or cut the fundamental frequency of the low E string. Of course a bass EQ has EQ bands at frequencies that are useful for getting typical usable sounds out of a bass guitar, but if you're going for a more guitar oriented sound (which I assume the original poster is going for a baritone-guitar-esque tone from his last post) a guitar oriented EQ with bands at frequencies selected to be useful in creating typical useful guitar tones would be more appropriate. So again, it's a question of what frequencies you want to boost and cut.

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    hmm... that gives me something to think about. as always, i should probably just hit guitar center and try em both and see which works better for my desired tone. the boss would probably work just fine since part of what i need to do to achieve that "baritone-type" sound (at least the way I use it) is to actually cut the low end while slightly boosting the highs.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Whoa, neat. I didn't know they made those. Does that godlyke power pump work interchangeably with the one-spot? I know it says explicitly that it should only be used with the godlyke, but i was under the impression the two power supplies are virtually identical.

10. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures