1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eq Pedal With Active Pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by netgeist, Sep 28, 2010.

1. netgeist

netgeist

Mar 17, 2010
    Western MA
    I've got a Schecter Stargazer with active pickups and an on board EQ. I'm giving some serious thought to which pedals I really need, as I don't want to use many.

I know EQ pedals are often recommended but what do they offer when I have an onboard EQ?

Thanks,

- netgeist

2. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    More tone shaping ability

3. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    For me, certain pedals seem to suck tone out of my sound that I am attempting to achieve. I usually use an eq pedal after them in order to have more tone shaping flexibility or to restore some of what was lost.

4. EQ pedals are handy when you want to make a big change in tone for a certain part or song. Like, if there's a song or even a part of a song where you want to boost your bass and treble and cut your mids, you can just click on a pedal instead of having to adjust 3 or 4 knobs on your bass. It's pretty handy.

5. netgeist

netgeist

Mar 17, 2010
    Western MA
    Good point, Billy Low. I have experienced that but figured it meant plugging away with the gains on my current pedals. An EQ would be easier since I wouldn't change the shaping on the other pedals.

Thanks, bigchief. I never even considered that.

- netgeist

6. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Another thing that u may wanna take a look at is the order in which the pedals are hooked up.

7. netgeist

netgeist

Mar 17, 2010
    Western MA
    I do need to consider the order. I put them together last night and got one hell of a lot of noise from the amp.

I had...

Bass>EQ>Chorus>Flanger>OD>Amp

I wanted the OD toward the beginning of the chain but when it's before the chorus, I get some...unpleasantness.

- netgeist

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021