Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Pedals.. why?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaftCat, Jun 1, 2005.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi,

Sorry if this question appears dumb.

:bag:

I wonder why some players(bass) use stomp EQ pedals. I dial in my tone on my cabinet and am happy with that.

Is there something obvious I am missing?
    Is it for players who change their tone during a gig(slap, for ex.)?

What advantages does a EQ pedal offer?

Thanks,

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like them so I can switch EQ settings, by leaving my amp set somewhat flat, I can get one tone with the pedal disengaged, and step on the pedal to excentuate other frequencies.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Another use is for players that use two basses. An example is most times an active bass will require different EQ setting than a passive.

Ted

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Ah!!

I was considering getting a 5string but it was passive. Never crossed my mind for that reason.

Thanks for the answers.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Instead of fudging up my favorite settings when I stand in for another band I can just tweak my pedal.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's certainly one reason, if you need to change eq mid song for example. The other reasons people mentioned are all good reasons too - i..e. switching between active/passive basses.
    Also, if you're using a house rig at a venue and you're unfamiliar with the type of amp you might choose to keep the amp flat and dial in your basic sound with an eq pedal / preamp stombpbox.

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    anyone use a radial bassbone? i have an active and a passive bass, and i hear this thing is great for switching between the two, and that it does some nice eq. im thinking of getting one.