1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by christobass 416, Mar 23, 2006.

1. I did a search, and found nothing...:meh:

What do you guys think of EQ pedals? I was looking into getting a Behringer EQ pedal cause it's pretty cheap. :smug: I don't have a job yet, I should in about a month, though. I only have a little ibanez practice amp, and it sounds great, but I want to be able to tinker with my sound more. Do you think an EQ pedal would even be worth the 20 bucks? or should I wait and get a pre-amp? I can always use the effects loop in the back, right?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think you'd be happier with just an EQ pedal and not a whole new preamp. After all, your practice amp already has a preamp built in, and whatever boost or tone coloring a separate preamp would provide would be pointless going into the little Ibanez. So your only benefit would be the EQ section. You might want to save up a little more and go with an MXR M109 ($80) or a DOD FX42B or FX40B ($50), they will perform better IMO. Or get a used Boss unit.

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I have the Behringer BASS EQ pedal. It is worth the $35 CDN I paid for it. It does have design flaws, but for the cost I dealt with it.
    Also, go buy it and mention to the salesperson you might end up returning it. That way you can play with it and not lose a dime if you wish.

DCat,

:)

4. the ibanez sw35 has an "Effects send and return", doesn't that mean that the pre-amp would bypass the built inpre-amp?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Which preamp would bypass which preamp? What?

In a combo amp head, the effects send is always hard-wired after the built-in preamp, so if you put another preamp pedal in the loop, you're using two preamps for no reason (and probably causing distortion that you may or may not want). Not to mention if you turn the fx blend down from 100% you'll end up with phase cancellation and general suckyness. You CAN, on some amps, send an outboard preamp into the fx return jack (or a power section input jack) to bypass the onboard preamp, and in this case you would not plug anything into the inputs on the front of your amp and also not into the fx send jack. But why? You're dealing with a little practice amp. Any tonal benefit of a high-quality preamp will be lost. All you gain is a different EQ setup. It's perfectly OK to send an outboard preamp into the active (padded) input on the front of your amp, but again there's not much point in this case.