Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by --Wang--, Feb 2, 2002.

1. How dramatic will an equalizer stomp box change the sound of your bass, and can anyone recommend any EQ pedals from experience?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you make drastic settings it will drastically change the sound.

3. If you have a cheapo amp yeah it will. But Brad gave the best explainion, funny enough.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sometimes the obvious answer is accurate. It's true for most effects.

5. I suppose I had that coming...

Ok, I was looking into a Boss GEB-7 EQ pedal. Good? Bad? Anyone with expererience with this thing?

6. i have one... it can give you some good sounds but i personally no longer have any use for it. I used to use it make that dramatic smiley tone with the mids practically cut out but then I eventually just found i could get the best all around tone from just the settings on my GK.
    e-mail me with a reasonable offer if you want it before i take it to the classified section...
    It is in nearly perfect condition except one of those useless little bastard white slider cover thingies fell off. It does not affect the pedals use AT ALL and you can probably just snag a new slider cover off the effects display wall at guitar center... ;) If will be posting pics (why i dont know) one it goes over to classifieds in a week or so.

7. I prefer parametric eq's, there are just some frequencies I need to notch, cut and boost. I've found that parametric eqs give you much for expression then a graphic eq.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Wang, I wasn't trying to be funny or take a shot at you. It sounds general because I only had general info to go on.

The Boss pedal works as advertised. As Bigfeet says, parametric (or semi-parametric) EQ will give you more pinpoint control. I could see the Boss being useful if you had an amp that didn't have an EQ section.

I have a four band semi-parametric EQ built into my amp... and leave it flat.

9. How ironic. :D

10. my eq is actually usually prettly flat as well... i found that my bass sounds fine without me trying to always fine tune it.

11. I got an active bass, a Sans amp and a head. I usually make universal changes (adjusting for the room) on the head, then tune the Sans Amp so it sounds groovy, and then make adjustments for individual songs / whatever on the bass. I try to keep the head pretty flat so I'm not having 2-3 preamps working against each other.

EQs all seem to have their own flavour, but all of mine are knobs that say things like "HIGH MIDS" and "BASS", which i find more comprehensible when drunk than "1.2 khz".

EQ can be used as an effect (sometimes drastic), to help the sound fit the room (usually subtle), and other things besides. But you can look at it this way - it's something you'll want to get used to, learn about and play with sooner or later. If you think this is the best way to spend your money, go for it. Unless you go FX-puritan on us, it can't hurt to have one around ... though you might end up never using it till you find an otherwise great pedal that sucks lows or mids ...

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the Boss EQ and it is very good, but I haven't used it in years. I can get the sound I want without it. If your amp isn't giving you the sound you want, then it will work well for you. I may start using mine as a volume boost on one bass I have that is much quieter than all the rest.

13. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I'm selling a vitage MXR 10 band eq. If your interested let me know.

14. Hey, I'm going to move this thread into the wanted ads if you want to buy one or if you guys are interested in selling yours. PM me --Wang-- if you would like me to move this thread.