Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eq/preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buickwaffle, Aug 29, 2003.

1. buickwaffle

buickwaffle

May 7, 2002
    about a year ago i bought a mesa boogie walkabout and a 4x10 ampeg front ported cab. overall, i am impressed with the performance but i find it to be good, but i am having trouble dialing in my eq settings. i am used to using a graphic eq and i find that the easiest way to get what i want. i was wondering if you had any suggestions on eqing or a preamp that i should look into to get any specific sound. i play an ernie ball stingray and prefer the tight soundsof rage against the machine, but i also would like to easily change the sound at any time. please help.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    EQ is as much an artform as playing. There's no real right of wrong.

But as a fellow stingray player, I've found it's one of those basses that likes you to start the gig with everything flat. That includes the EQ on the bass as well as the amp. Than I adjust it depending on what's happening on stage tone-wise. Every room sounds different. at some gigs it stays flat all night.

It's really a matter of playing around until you get a feel for what each slider does. Then it's just a personal preference thing!