1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ preferences

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jisforjustin, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Flat response (no mid change)

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Scooped mids (like Big Muff)

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Mid boost (like TS-9)

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. jisforjustin

jisforjustin

Mar 13, 2008
    OK, so I am working on a simple 1 knob tone control for a distortion pedal right now and I am curious what your preferences are as far as EQ reponse, particularly with the mids.

It will boost the highs or lows, but what kind of mid response do you prefer. Do you prefer the scooped mid sound like a Big Muff, or the mid boost like a TS-9, or just a flat response?

Justin

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Guaranteed the different responses will be based on whether the user plays at home or plays in a dense/loud band mix. At home, scooped sounds great. In a dense band mix, scooped means inaudible, as the mids are what allow us to cut through the mix and be heard. With distortion especially, even a nominally flat response can lack the mid emphasis needed to be heard (depending on the mix), so it may sound scooped.

IMO tone knobs that boost the highs or lows are useless. Boosting the lows creates mud, and boosting the highs creates harshness (of course there are exceptions, I'm just speaking broadly). Maybe you could make it just a mids knob, boosting or cutting (or leaving flat) a specific range of mids.

3. Slight tangent - in terms of htz, what do you consider "mids?" Now seems a good time to ask since it's pretty close to on-topic...

I guess I could make it more on topic by asking...

What htz range each would you be emphasizing if you make it a low, high or mid boost/cut?

4. How about a quasi paramatric stacked knob? Boost/cut and frequency with a fixed Q?

5. jisforjustin

jisforjustin

Mar 13, 2008
    I like that idea and it would definitely be doable.

I am curious though what frequency you all think would be the best center frequency for a mid cut/boost?

Justin

6. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    The Boss MT-2 has exactly that, making it quite a versatile pedal IME.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmmm... with a broad bandwidth, I'd say 500 Hz would be good.

8. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I used to be all about the mids, but now I use the VLF on my LMII a lot and love the results. My rock band uses a lot of bass breaks and it just seems to work well with the drummist!

9. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I would go with a stacked parametric. The mids that you would want to boost are going to vary with the environment you're playing in and the in the mix that you're working with.

10. Mine curve gracefully from the lows down to the highs. My DI box spikes the treble, but my amp smooths it out nicely. If I ever sell that BA115, I'll have to get an EQ, because of the preset "modes". I like my lows and mids. Good for fuzzing.

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I would take a mid boost/cut knob before any high or low boost/cut as well. Semiparametric would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Find the right frequency that compliments the character of the pedal and gives the ability to cut through a mix and that would work.

Scooped mids are pretty much the worst thing ever as far as I'm concerned. In fact, even/smooth/plain mids usually piss me off most of the time.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    personally I like the "flat" sound of my bass, but I also adore the mid boost EQ as well. Different things for different times.