1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doktorAvalanche, Sep 25, 2008.

1. doktorAvalanche

doktorAvalanche

Sep 25, 2008
    Hi. i use an Ampeg B2-RE and i've been messing around with the tone trying to get something that is "bassy" but still has some clarity and punch. When i put my highs up too high my guitarists complain that i'm not covering the low end. I've been messing with all the little knobs (the amp's eq) and the levers (the graphic eq built into the amp) and i have yet to some up with something descent. I play a Schecter Damien 5 and i'm battling 2 Gibson Les Pauls. I feel i am buried in the mix. Any one have any suggestions how i can have the melodies in my bass lines be heard as well as cover the low end? thanx in advance for any replies since i'm a nood here and all :)

-D

2. You'll find that probably what you are lacking is mids. also, "the low end" is rarely the lowest slider (the one furthest left) it will be the one next to it. the lowest slider is usually kind of sub-bass, and does add something, but boosting the second slider will have a far more drastic effect on your sound.

Also, try boosting your upper mids (between 500 and 2000 (2k) Hz)

hopefully some of that will help!

:)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Try running the amp flat, no boost or cut, except for some of that 800-2K range boosted slightly. It's tempting to crank a bunch of eq up, but it rarely helps out any.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Adding highs does not diminish the lows. The guitarists are just complaining that you're interfering with their end of the spectrum. There is no less bass.

This is the most likely problem. The guitarists often slam low notes into the bass region, so your bass lines get buried by their monotonic low notes. They love the sound of the bottom on the guitars when playing alone. In a band setting, however, they have to EQ to cut their bass and leave you room in the spectrum.

Until the entire band understands that each instrument needs its own space, things will not improve. You can spend a lot of time and money and get nowhere.

This is where engineers and producers make their money in the studio, carving out the proper spectrum for each instrument in the mix.