EQ question--Scooped?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by emor, Sep 14, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    I keep running across this term but I really don't understand what it means.

Would somebody please define it and give examples of players who have a "scooped" or "non-scooped" sound.

2. I can do the first bit ...

Scooped is where the mid range is lowered in volume compared with the bass and treble, so on a graphic equaliser the line of the controls would have a bit scooped out of it.

If you have a mid range control, turning it up will make the bass sound more cardboard-boxy, but turning it down makes the sound thinner and more HiFi. This is the scooped sound. This type of sound is good for soloing, but can get lost in the mix if you have lots of other instruments, or big rich chords (think Phil Spector).
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Scooped Mid's Example: 'Smiley' graphic EQ shape.
    If you want to sound less like metal and more classic rock, you'll want to use a mid-boost instead of the mid-cut.

4. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Good graphic. The backline used at our church is set this way, though it isn't my thing (I overall like things flat with a bit of mid-boost, then maybe some bass boost depending on which axe I'm using). I think it sounds great at home, but doesn't cut it live. YMMV
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My bass sounds great with the mids scooped a little. Some bass heads have a knob just for this purpose Gk's, Edens, and I'm sure some others.