Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ question?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Oct 31, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    In my set up I run and 15 band eq. Right now my bass goes into the eq then into the head. Is this the preferred way to do this or could I run the head to the eq then into the cab and get more tone shaping that way if possible?

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I'm assuming it's a rackmount EQ? Probably will work better in the effects loop of your amp. Impedence issues ya know.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    impedance issues?

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yeah, rackmount equipment is usually designed to operate with a low impedance signal, while pedals are designed to operate with a high impedance (guitar/bass level) signal. That's why plugging straight into a rack processor usually doesn't sound too good (noisy, tinny, thin), unless it has a dedicated Hi-Z input. 99 times out of a hundred, you are better off putting the EQ in the loop.

I'm not a tech-head, but I hope this was helpful to ya!

5. Yeah, it's better to let the amp do the preamping and run the EQ through the effects loop.

Do not, *EVER*, run that EQ between the amp and the cab, unless you're training to be a smoke signal medicine man kinda guy.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Right now I have my bass going into the eq then to the head. It sounds great is it safe this way? I never had any problems with it.

7. Yes it's perfectly safe, but you might get even better results (less noise, crisper sound) if you run the EQ after your bass has been preamplified. Usually an EQ unit doesn't handle the direct connection of a bass very well for two main reasons: signal level and impedance mismatch.

If you have all the specs on the EQ at hand, and you tell us if your bass is passive or active, we could give you more clues.

But if you decide to run the EQ through the effects loop, your head has to have one, of course ;)

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My eq is DBX 1215 dual 15 band eq, as far as specs I would not know where to begin. I play both passives and actives. Both sound great on the set up. I have one eq set up for the passive with the volume max'd, and one for the active with the volume barely on to make sure if I switch bass's during a show the volume will be equal. I am thinking of going to two active bass's and retiring the passive. I do not notice any difference when I use the passive, impedance was mentioned but I don't really notice a difference at all, it sounds great. If I put the eq in the effects loop I lose all the tone from my head which I don't want to do.

9. Just did a quick search, can't find the input impedance spec of the dbx 1215.

But if you barely have to turn up the input gain on the active bass and the passive one can keep up, it looks like there are no impedance problems (well done, dbx!)

So, conclusively, if this setup is the best sounding, I wouldn't change it. Like I said, you're not in the least bit of risk damaging anything (unlike the suggestion you made in your first post: bass->head->eq->cab ;) )

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Joris, I basically tried this to incorporate a passive and active during a gig with no messing around with the head and the DBX does that. I had no idea by adding the extra EQ it would improve my tone so much. No matter what my set up is in the future I know it will include an EQ.

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi RicPlaya, what kind of bass do you have? Is it active or passive?

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Spector Rebop5(active), Rickenbacher 4000( passive
    so both.