Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 18, 2003.

1. I'm not sure where this post belongs so I put it here. I play in my church band. I'm currently plugging into a Sansamp Bass Driver DI which goes straight to the board. I don't use any kind of amp on stage. My sound is all lows and highs, I have no mid range punch at all. I looked at the EQ on the board and noticed the mid sweep control goes from .35 to 5. What kind of range is that? What is .35?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I see 2 possibilities:

It just refers to the center frequency of the filter: .35khz to 5khz (350-5,000 hz).

It could also refer to the Q ("Quality") of the filter if it's a true parametric, in which case there should also be another control with the center frequency (see above).

My money's on #1; there should also be a control to set the level or volume of the mids. A true parametric EQ would have all 3 controls.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If it WAS the Q control, and the mids were turned down even the slightest hair, it would explain why all you have are lows and highs. A .35 Q is pretty freakin' drastic.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It wouldn't be the Q curve. Most desks have "sweepable" midrange controls but the Q is set, so it really only a semi-parametric.

I'd be starting with 500Hz (or 0.50 on the desk in question. Boost the mid gain, the sweep the midrange control till you hear it bite.

Or, here's a tip straight from the sansamp owners manual:-

To get more midrange out of the sansamp, turn the bass and treble almost all the way down. Then bring the volume knob up as much as necessary to get your volume back to where it was. Viola, instant midrange.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Of course it might be all lows and highs because you boosted the living crap out of the lows and highs on your SansAmp :D