EQ questions.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ~*#VJU#*~, Dec 21, 2000.

1. ~*#VJU#*~

Dec 21, 2000
    I have this idea but I'm not really sure if it'll actally work or if its just my mind running wild.
    At the minute I have a distion pedal and a compression pedal running together to give me clean, loud distorion and compact distorion. However I want to split the signal before these and run one (top path) thru a guitar amp. I want to cut the bass from this "top path" and put it thru a gitar distortion to make a massive massive sound.
    Why...?? Well I get bored sometimes and I've got some money to waste But really, I play alot of chordy stuff and I want to make my sound larger to fill the space of a second guitarist.
    So my question is, can a Bass EQ be used to totally cut the bottom end off, and where do bass frequencys and guitar frequency cross over...??

Merry Xmas!!

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I used to do something similar to this when i was in a blues trio. Didn't use any effects, but my preamp (Ashly BP41) had a crossover. I would send the low out to my power amp and then to a 115 cab, and the high out I plugged right into the input of a guitar amp. So really, I was just biamping. But the guitar amp was a 2-channel G-K 212 with a channel select footswitch. So I set the second channel for some raunchy overdrive, and voila -- footswitchable distortion, with bass frequencies unaffected! Usually used it only for solos, running clean under guitar solos. But I did manage to turn a few heads.

Doing what you're talking about, I don't think it would hurt the guitar amp to get the whole output af a guitar distortion pedal; those usually just don't reproduce low bass frequencies anyway. And even if they did, the guitar amp would also just not reproduce it rather than kill itself trying. And even if you had trouble there, you could just turn down the bass tone knob on the amp. So to answer what I think is your original question: no, I don't think you need to EQ the low out of the guitar amp signal path at all.

You won't need a really powerful guitar amp -- only about 1/4 to 1/3 the power of your bass rig. A 1x12 with 50 to 75 watts will probably do the job.

So all in all, I say we go for it!

[Edited by Eli on 12-30-2000 at 07:49 PM]