EQ scoop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    i have a 7 band eq on my amp head. Im not really sure how to perfect my sound so i was wondering if i could get help.
    The type of sound i want is lots of tone punch but a really deep low end. all this without sacrificing loudness.
  2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i think i may be going for the same thing you are, DCJ. i run my R600 with the low bass frequencies cut, and the mids boosted, with a touch of high boost. by cutting the bass frequencies, you can allow your amp to get louder without clipping the poweramps. the mid frequencies can give enough impact without everything below 100 Hz or so boosted when you are playing loud. im currently running a 10 band graphic eq, set like this:
    50 Hz: -8 dB
    80 Hz: 0
    125 Hz: +4
    250 Hz: +2
    500 Hz: +4
    800 Hz: +8
    1.3kHz: +4
    2.5kHz: +6
    5kHz: +4

i am currently running the R600 through a carvin 210 cab. when i add my homebuilt 18 cab to it, i boost the lowest three bands up about 3 dB each. this adds a nice rumble with the 18. the 10s just cant handle it. hope this helps.

btw-i have heard that 125 Hz is what is percievedby humans to have the highest "impact" (actually heard this somewhere here on TB!) so thats why that is boosted. everything below i percieve to be more of a rumble. 250-800 Hz gives me more growl, while everything above goes to a snap, and eventually a twang if im not careful.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    'Tis a Rogue if I remember correctly.

Here's a few tips:

1.) Unplug it from the wall before making any adjustments to the EQ.
    2.) Don't ever plug it back in.
  4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    yes i know, the rouge man. Trust me, im as unhapy as you are about it. I plan on a hartke 3500, a well worth buy.