EQ Setting on Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phaneo, Sep 8, 2005.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Guy's help me out. I went on vacation this weekend and the bassist who sat in supposedly had a killer tone. :( Anyway, he had a nice rig, ampeg and GK. We both play fender jazz basses, but he plays a 5. I play on a Passive usa jazz bass, Hartke HA4000 through a peavey 410, and sometimes a peavey 15. I usually go into the PA, but he didn't. Would you guys throw out your suggested eq settings for my hartke. I play in a coverband mostly 80's stuff, from Billy Joel to Men at Work, we also do some reggae. I need a good solid all around tone. Any help is appreciated. Here's a link to the front panel of my amp. Get as detailed as you want.http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/HA4000.jpg

2. First. Try to play harder with your fingers - Many bassplayers play to soft. To get that extra punch in your tone, try to play a little bit harder.

Your head has big tonal flexabilites. Mix around with it. If you dont find anything you like. Rest 10 minutes.

A tip is to higher mid at 700hz.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Phaneo...how do you have your controls set now?

Also, what settings do you use on your bass? I know that it's passive but how are the two volume controls and the tone control set?
  4. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I don't have the head here, I keep it out of town with the band so I'll guess. I keep the shape around 450 hz and the intesity around 5 or 6. I have the d bass around 9 o'clock. The low set near 0. mid low 1-2 o'clock. Freq 158 bandwidth 12 o'clock. same for mid highs. High set around 10 o'clock. I play my bass with both volume knobs all the way up. On a few songs I'll roll of one or the other all the way. For just the bridge or neck p/u. I usually keep the tone knob all the way up/