EQ Settings advice required

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Dec 6, 2000.

1. I would very much appreciate if anyone could give me some advice on EQ settings.
    I play a 2 band Stingray through a Trace AH400 and Mesa Boogie Diesel 1x15 and 2x10 cabs.
    The problem I have is that the D and G strings sound very thin and trebly compared to the E and A strings. I tend to use the pre-shape settings mainly because at band practice I don't really have time to play with the graphic, what with Johnny guitar hero and the drumming octopus giving me earache.
    I have tried different string gauges but this doesn't cure the basic problem.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good luck;) My Trace AH500 drove me nuts trying to dial in a sound.
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    If you use a 'smiley' type preset, you are dialing out mids, wich you need to cut through. You can try to compensate this by boosting frequencies around 600-800Hz.
    Or leave the pre-shape out and try some kind of 'W' shape on your graphic EQ.
    But you have to be aware that there is a great difference in how the bass sounds wether you are playing alone or with the band - IMHO there is no way around adjusting the EQ while the whole band is playing.
    I'm sure the others (esp. guitarists and keyboarders) need some time to check out their sounds too....

4. So what did you replace it with and is that any better.

Maybe I should be thinkink of replacing it with something with more useable sounds because this is driving me nuts.

I had a Peavey T-Max before the Trace and I don't recall having this problem.

Thanks Matthias. I'll give it a try.

[Edited by AndyMartin on 12-08-2000 at 12:11 AM]