Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Settings - AMP BH-420?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi all,

So now that the BH-420 is here, I'm playing with the EQ. It's quite a bit different than other EQ's I've had in that not only can you adjust the levels of a given frequency range but you can also adjust the sweeps. Here is a picture of my head, note the eq section.

I play all rock, from some classics (Neil Young, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, etc) to modern rock (Incubus, Weezer, 3 Doors Down, etc). I'm looking for some suggestions on EQ settings, especially in a live environment. I'm just not used to having the ability to adjust the sweeps. Oh, I play both 4 and 5 string basses. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FLAT

check out the EQ thread linked in the FAQ sticky for an idea of what the frequencies sound like.

I've used SWR and Eden amps with almost the same interface (all russ allee designs). those EQ's are great for finding and correcting trouble spots in various rooms or to get the tone needed for a specific song in a hurry.

But Flat is the way to go unless you really need to mess with it. :smug:

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Flat has one advantage: you don't have to remember where the settings are. But it's more important to get a sound that (a) sits well in the mix, and/or (b) pleases your and your bandmates' ears. Tweak (if necessary) 'til you get that happy tone, and maintain a general idea of what works: e.g. boost a little high mid, cut a little treble, etc.

IMO comparing settings is interesting, but has little value in the real world because it's unlikely that my gear and technique are the same as yours! And there's that little matter of taste never being accounted for. :)