Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Settings and the Peavey 210 Combo..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ignus, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Ignus

Ignus

Jul 27, 2001
    Can someone please tell me some good EQ settings for a 10 band EQ? I have a Peavey 210 Combo with a 15" bottom, but I'm looking for peoples inputs on what they have their EQ settings at... I'm having trouble getting the sound I want... I'm looking for something punchy, and something with a warm tone, but not too muddy... I have a pyramid style on EQ settings with low bass, high mids, and low highs.. I was told by someone to do it that way about 3 years ago, and haven't really changed it since... Now I'm serious about my bass playing. I've tried other settings, but have not gotten it down to where I want them.. Please help..

Ignus

2. i think that the classic " W " shape is the best for 10-band eq's :) but don't overdo it..

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Dude, I've struggled for 5 years with my Combo 115 It has the same pre/power amp section as your 210 just 1 15" driver. I just can never get the tone right especially in the mids. The best results I've had are: Do not use the compresssor section, the DDT thing compresses the signal enough. Stay off the Low freq pre-shape knob. When you need high volume leave the 40hz eq slider @ 0 or even -5 for more poweramp headroom and less rumble. If it's late I cut the 40hz to -15db and the neighbors never complain. As for the effed up mids? I'm never satisfied. BEST TIP: for practice & low volumes I plug straight into the "power amp in" patch, the whole pre-amp is bypassed. It sounds so open and unswquashed I could not believe it almost like a high end SWR set-up. The down side is that even my 18v bartolini onboard pre-amp only has enough gain to drive it about 1/3 volume. My next step is to buy a nice pre-amp and use that. hope this helps.

4. I have the combo 115, and I have some similar problems. For my style, i found the Peavey sounds ok with my p-bass, but with my 5 it doesnt seem to have the clarity I am looking for. I think that the Peavey BW 15 just doesnt have enough lows for me.