1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ Settings for a PBass.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ODDBALL, May 25, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello All,

I just recently purchased a Ibanez RB650 with a P/J configuration. This is my first PBass and I would like to hear some of the EQ setting you use on your PBasses. I would like to get a nice thumpy sound and would also like to get that bright pick sound.

I have a Peavey Bam 210 paired with a Peavey 115 Combo using a A/B box to run both at the same time.

Thanks

Shaun

2. With a P Bass a nice scooped eq works nice with a pick

3. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Scooped meaning dump the Mids? Like a smiley face with the EQ?

Shaun

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    P makes a pretty nice thump just like it is, doesn't need a lot of adjusting. Turn the tone knob up for pick attack, down some for just thump.

Twang is in the upper midrange if you want to bring that down a little. It's sweet spot is in the lowmids/high bass rather than the really deep bass if you want to bring that out a little more.

5. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Personally, if anything I would bump the low mids. The growl and the punch of a P-bass lives in the low mids.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Pretty much what will33 said, but there are other factors to consider---like where you pluck the strings, whether or not you use your fingernails any (in which case you'll need to turn down the highs, and/or also some high mids), and whether you play flats or rounds. I can get a good P sound on my Markbass rig (believe it or don't) depending on how I use my fingers and how I set the eq. Anyway, I'm just saying that it isn't all about where the knobs are set.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The EQ you use depends on the cab and amp you play through, as well as the sound you personally prefer. Take anything you hear with a grain of salt and experiment yourself...because you are unique.

IMO the best way to start with EQ is to set every frequency to its center click ("neutral" or no boost, no cut) and start there.

8. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I am currently using DR Sunbeams.

Shaun

9. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I prefer the thumpy sound. Does a PBass do a good deep bass?

Shaun

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    For a more thumpy sound try some flats. But, that's a personal call.

11. IMOP I would not scoop the mids. They really help with that great P bass tone. I just bought a 93 mexi p bass. It has dimarzio pups and I threw a badass 2 on there. I run it through a vt bass pedal and the orange terror 500. Let me tell you man, its sounds so awesome. That vt bass pedal really works wonders with the split p pickup configuration

12. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I know this sounds dumb but I will ask it anyway. What is the difference between a deep bass sound and a thumpy one? And does a PBass do a deep bass or just the thumpy sound? Sorry again my first PBass and by the way I love it.

Shaun

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    different words for the same thing.

try the bass blended all the way to the P pickup by itself for a classic P tone (deep, but with a punchy midrange too), then try it blended to both the P and the J for a more "modern" sound (scooped out mids with extra treble).

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good points here. Playing live, I do leave my eq rather "neutral", or use it to correct room problems more than shape the bass tone. You can get a whole lotta different sounds out of how and where you use your right hand. All amps and speakers are voiced a little different. Use your eq to put you in the ballpark of what you want your sort of "medium" or "default" sound to be, then use the playing hands to change sounds. Even picking as you mentioned, there's a lot of difference closer to and further away from the bridge, pick attack, muting, letting stuff ring out, etc.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm refering to deep bass as way deep, like subwoofer bass, and thump being an octave or 2 higher than that on the eq.

Deep bass...40-80hz.

Thump.....100-250hz.

Not exact numbers there but in that range somewhere.

16. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thanks to all for the input. I have always used jazz basses so this PBass is a different animal. A wild one to. :)

Shaun

17. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Does anyone have any good examples of a good PBass video from YouTube?

Shaun

18. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You are running the bass into two combos with different speakers? I would recommend using either one or the other. If you don't find either one to your liking, then look for a new rig. Questions about eq settings are pointless in your situation.

19. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Why would it be pointless?

Shaun

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ideally, he has a good point, but that doesn't make your setup "pointless", that's going to the other extreme. If you're having trouble getting a clear sound with the whole stack all at once, start by dialing up a nice sound on the combo by itself first, then add the other speaker in, see how that changes things and correct for it the best you can.

Assuming you play bar gigs where your rig carries the room (no bass in the PA), walk the room and listen to how a mashup like that can make the bass sound different in different spots in the room. Mixing speakers can make them fool with each other in an unpredictable way. One spot might have a ton of lows in it and another they can sort of disappear. That's phasing at work, the result of playing the same signal through different spec speakers.

You don't need to go buy a different cab today at all, but keep it in mind, and if you have trouble getting consistent sound out in the room, consider swapping the 15 for another Peavey 210 or vice versa.