Eq. settings for B string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rich37, Apr 27, 2002.

1. A B string is appr. 39 hz.
    Is it necessary that the first slider of a equalizer from a bass amp is 30 hz. to handle the B string nicely?
    Or can it be 50 Hz or higher?

Or is the frequency responce the main issue here?
  2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    a low B is actually 31 Hz (roughly). no the head doesnt need to have a 30Hz slider on it to handle the B well. some heads dont even have a graphic eq, just a low/mid/high 3 band eq section. It will still work fine. I find myself cuting out on the lowest range of my eq with my 5 strings, otherwise the sound has a tendancy to get too muddy for my taste (im also using a huge 18" woofer though)

frequency response isnt as important as it may seem. most of the sound of the low B, even the low E is from the second and third harmonics of the strings (well above 30 Hz). the fundamental is the lowest frequency the string produces. this is the frequency we often refer to when we talk about notes and their respective values. some people swear by cabinets that will play the 30Hz fundamental, others hate them.

more than anything, its a matter of personal taste. just about anything will play a clean B if you turn the bass eq/gain/master volume down enough.

personally, i like the sound clean and flat, the way it sounds when playing through a good set of headphones. unforunatly, this requires many (or large) speakers, with a lot of power behind them. this means a lot of stuff to carry around, and worst of all, a lot of $$.
  3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    it depends like previously said, its personal prefrence. I myself like very high gainy, toney, tweeter necessary sound. My influnce for my tone is alice in chains and megadeth, particularly in the song In my Darkest Hour. Also my amp compensates for the lows at higher volumes while keeping the tone nice and ear grinding. Also the less lows you have, the higer volume you can produce, plus you won't totally fart your speakers. I use science when I EQ. If you know what frequency does what, you can perfect your sound. I keep lots of tone with not to much string definition, nice roundness, and room filling lows. With a low B, it fills any room. I personally like a very warm toney low, and let the natural lowness of the low B take care of itself. I seldomly use a 5 though. not to mention i have a kickass cab ;)