eq settings for bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BFree, Feb 8, 2002.

1. BFree

Feb 7, 2002
    Is there any resource out there I can get ahold of that will teach me more about how to get the best parametric eq settings for a bass amp??
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm sure there's some link out there that someone will be able to give you, but I think experimentation is something to consider. Just messing around with your EQ one day before you practice will let you decide what sounds best. I would recommend setting your EQ, and playing through a whole pratice with that setting, to see whether you like the tone or not. Then try something different. There's all sorts of options. With a parametric eq, you have a lot of options. I have one parametric band on my amp and generally switch between a low-mid wide-bandwidth boost or a high-mid narrow-bandwidth notch filter type dealie. Just mess around and see what floats your boat.
  3. I have to agree, it just takes playing around with it. Personally in my band I like High Lows sweeping down to mids being at the middle, then High Highs. In general Mids cut through more, lows give you more of a growl and highs give you a twang. Thats just my opinion with my bass. All in all it just takes messing around with it, and figuring out which you like the best.
  4. Take at least half an hour, more time if you have it, and just experiment. You'd be surprised at how differently the same bass through the same amp can sound by fiddling with all the tone controls.

Mike J.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    For the human ear it is harder to identify attenuated frequencies rather than boosted frequencies.

So to get a feeling how different frequency ranges affect your sound you should start by setting he 'level' knob to max. and than slowly turn the 'frequ.' knob.

6. i think that your hearing adjusts to the tone, so fidle with the eq. till you get a sound you think you like, then go away for half an hour and then go back and listen to it again, you will notice a difference, it like when using effects if you use em heaps you start not to notice them but if you are playing without them and then you turn one on you notice the effect more.