Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Settings for SVT 4 PRO HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by faceless_13, Jul 3, 2005.

1. faceless_13

faceless_13

Apr 6, 2005
    I have a question. I have a Ampeg SVT 4 Pro. I have never owned a bass head with an EQ. I am very familiar with guitar EQ but seem to be having a bit of trouble setting this bad boy up. Not to familiar with bass frequency as mauc. I feel at times I am pushing it to much to get a tone. i.e. using the EQ as a volume boost etc. I play a fender Jazz bass with EMG J pick ups. I am after a nice tight tone with punchy, not farty, low end nice tight mid range. Right now I run my EQ with the mids higher. If you can imagine an arch. Lows and highs being the bottom of the arch. A nice tone for me would be Flea like. Really tight Deep and punchy. I guess my real question would be. How in general would a typical bass EQ be set. In an arch, more zig zagy, more wavy. ETC.

Thanks for your help guys
    :bassist:

Rik Miles

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    There is no one way to set them, as you know, that will work for everyone. Otherwise, they wouldn't even put them on. The curve you describe is a younger-person's curve. If you started at flat, centered and moved as many up as down in ANY kind of curve, you are using it correctly. As you get older or your ears get worse, this curve will morph into a smiley-face. If you feel you are using it TOO much as a boost, return all settings to zero, increase your gain and reset. Nothing wrong with running a lot above 0 but it might put your mind at ease.
    I use Ampegs and, SHIELDS UP, MR. SPOCK!, IMHO, the built-in EQ is not quite as good as a lot of the pre-EQs you can get.