1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eq settings help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caspah1914, Apr 29, 2009.

1. caspah1914

caspah1914

Nov 3, 2006
    I have been plying bass for a while now, but never been good at setting the eq levels on my amp. I play mostly blues and classic rock. I cant find an online manual for my amp, but it ranges from -15 to + 15 in low,low mid,high mid,high, and something called contour for low pass and high pass. can anyone tell me how i should adjust theese or have any insight or link on how theese work ? thanks

2. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Raise your bottom mids ....

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The very best thing you can do is set all the controls "flat", meaning no cut or boost. On some controls that may mean 12:00 noon, and on some that may mean fully counterclockwise, and believe it or not there are some 3-band EQ's where "flat" is neither of those settings. If you post the make/model of your amp, and maybe even a picture of it, we can try to sort that particular point out for you.

Once you have everything set as flat as possible, just experiment. Boost a bit here, cut a bit there, see how it sounds. There are no rules except "if it sounds good, it is good". Generally speaking you want to avoid scooping your mids if you are playing in a full band, as you may become inaudible that way. The "contour" control is a mid scoop.

Here's a bit more on the subject: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/eqtypes.shtml

4. I have my eq set as so:

(This is assuming that the eq is flat when every knob is pointing upwards, vertical)

Bass/Low = Turn 90° to the right (horizontal pointing right)
    Low Mid = Turn 45° to the right
    Mid = Leave vertical
    High Mid = Turn 45° to the left
    Treble/High = Turn 90° to the left (horizontal pointing left)

If you can't tell, I'm something of a perfectionist lol.

This will give you enough low mids to be able to stand out whilst giving a nice rounded tone. I use a Ashdown Electric Blue 180 combo and an ESP F-404 if that's any help.

If your amp has four knobs just turn the low mid and high mid knobs abit more towards the top.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi caspah1914.

A lot of players set up their bass and amp EQ as follows:

1) Make sure the bass is properly set up so that it:

- plays well (neck relief and string height at its bridge & nut)

- plays in tune on every note (intonation adjustment at the bass' bridge)

- and so that its pickups are adjusted parallel with the pick-guard (this helps insure that all the strings will be amplified to the same volume) and close enough to the strings for a good string capture/strong electrical output, yet far enough away to avoid excess magnet damping of the string's vibrations (leading to a loss of sustain and weird out-of-tune harmonics).

Having one's bass professionally set up is a shortcut to achieving the above.

2) Set the instrument's EQ flat (if it's an active bass, if it's a passive bass turn its tone control up full).

3) Set the amp's EQ flat (turn off any compressors & limiters and any mid-scoop or treble/bass-boost buttons which may be labeled something like 'contour')

4) *With the bass' on-board volume turned up full (passive bass), and with the amplifier's MASTER volume turned up a tiny amount, plug into the regular input on the amp and adjust the amp's GAIN control so that it feeds the amp a good strong signal from the bass without distorting, even when the bass' strings are plucked vigorously.

*Please note: For active basses, modify the the plug in procedure by plugging into the amp's input marked 'pad', or 'padded', or - 6 dB etc and realize that the on-board pre-amps on some active basses are so powerful that they'll overload even the padded input on some amps. If this occurs, one will have to turn the instrument's volume knob down a little to avoid clipping/distorting the amplifier's pre-amp stage.

4) Turn up the rig loud enough to blend with the drummer, and then tweak the amp's EQ slightly to compensate for adverse room acoustics and/or competition from other instruments.

5) If one's band is playing so LOUD that one's bass amp is close to clipping/distorting, then turn on any clipping limiter the rig may have which is designed to limit the pre-amp signal being fed to the power amp in order to prevent often speaker-killing power amp clipping.

6) If one's band is so LOUD that after :bassist: one's ears are ringing :eek:, then turn down or get hearing protection! Seriously!

If the above steps are followed then one will enjoy a bass and amp combination which sounds & feels satisfyingly full, punchy, tony, and largely balanced (no bass is perfect) throughout its entire register.

It will also sit well in the mix--a mix which will sound good for years, and years, and years 'cause you'll still have your ears! :D

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nice MIJ-VI,

btw, which amp is this?

7. caspah1914

caspah1914

Nov 3, 2006
    its a rogue rb-120. not the best setup i know but its affordable and loud enough for me for now. thanks for the help guys anyone else have ideas ?

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogue RB120 120W 1x15 Bass Combo

Rogue RB120 120W 1x15 Bass Combo Specifications:

* 24"W x 28"H x 20"D
    * 71 lbs. :eek:

Rogue RB120 120W 1x15 Bass Combo Features:

* 120W :)
    * 15" Eminence-designed speaker :)
    * Input gain
    * Treble, bass, and parametric-mid EQ controls :)
    * Master volume :)
    * Line out :)
    * Headphone jack :)
    * Send/return jack :)
    * Balanced/DI out with level control :)

The Rogue RB120's control panel.

This rig has the tilt-back cab design, features, and sufficient power to function as a bass monitor with PA support, or as a standalone rig for quiet gigs and rehearsals & home practice.