Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eq settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thesmallprint, Mar 31, 2005.

1. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    how should i set my eq?

yes i know this is a very broad question so i'll narrow it down. i play a bit of muse but would most like to know how to make it sound really punchy like pink floyd another brick in the wall part 2. could i do this somewhat with eq or do i need a compressor or better bass/amp. i hav a behringer bx3000t into a hartke vx410 (i live in australia, you try and get something better :eyebrow: )

2. Boost the lower mids.

Q.E.D.

:) :)

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Lower the bass/treble and turn [the volume] up.

Essentially it boosts the mids, but may give less noise.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in the top of this furum is a FAQ sticky thread. in it is a link to an eq thread with some ideas, but so far you're probably being steered in the right direction.

other than active eq stuff, if you have a passive tone control on your bass try rolling off some highs that way. also try using less neck pickup (if your axe has two pickups). maybe even different sets of strings like flats would help.

your playing technique will help a lot too, try various right hand positions, and even try plucking with your thumb and muting with your palm. a good player (i.e. one better than me :p ) will be able to use a cheap bass and a crappy amp and still be able to get a wide variety of tones.

there's no question that the floyd tracks got compressed to heck, but that doesnt mean you have to do the same thing live.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Start with all knobs flat. Tweak one at a time (gently) and see if you like the new sound better. Try cutting as well as boosting.