Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hellscream, Jun 21, 2005.

1. hellscream

hellscream

Apr 13, 2005
    Alright, in all my years of playing the bass I've never owned an amp with a 12 band EQ. SO, now I have one and I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right sound. Can someone give me some ideas as far as settings go In order to get a good all around tone.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's never a bad idea to start of flat in a strait line, get the best tone you can with your bass and go from there, that probably doesn't help you much. Because we don't know what equipment you are using and more importantly what kind of sound you are looking for it's anyones guess. Post some more info, maybe there's someone out there with the same rig and similar tone requirements who can give you some specific advise. Generally, anytime I'm faced with an eq section like that I usually find myself cutting the lowest slider down a bit below flat, boosting the next four sliders gradually in a rainbow that reaches half way up between flat and the top and then do the same "rainbow" with the last 4 sliders as well. The middle 3 or 4 I leave alone till the end. This may not help you at all because you may very well find my tone repulsive so let us know what YOUR after.

3. look for a graphic EQ bypass button. That should fix everything :D .

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    +1!

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've never used a graphic EQ that large, but I'd also start by setting everything flat and then I'd start making slight adjustments by cutting and boosting the frequency bands. I'm guessing all the trial and error might be time consuming, but you'll find some pretty cool sounds along the way. I'd then diagram and label each setting you really like, ("Funk", "Rock",etc) then memeorize the sliders' pattern so you can recall those settings up as needed.

One of my outboard preamps has a 2-band parametric EQ for the mids and lows. I've found it's very useful, but I've also noticed I have to make slight adjustments for every different room I play in. So your favorite setting(s) may change from room to room.

- Art

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Y'all got ya a Trace Elliot....dint cha?

Man, they are twitchy. Things happen really fast.

Start flat.

Find your mid point you like to boost or cut.

Then...

Work from that mid point outward experimenting with shape of the line towards either end.

Is it straight..does it curve...where does it start to curve...

I have a T.E. GP 12...It's kind of a pain to dial in but it has some capabilities that you just won't get in anything else EQ wise.

Just remember...the slider is REAL sensitive. Don't go any faster than 1/3 or maybe 1/2 a mark at a time or you'll fly right by what you're looking for.