Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elf2112, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Elf2112

Elf2112

Aug 22, 2003
    I am looking for suggestions for EQ settings. Still playing around with my new rig. Not having any problems with sound, just interested what other people are using.

My style is a pretty beefy bass style in a metal type band. Need to cut through just one guitar right now. I use slap and chords pretty extensively and am pretty active on the bass, lot of low end. alternate tunings down to a low C at the lowest.
    Both active bass (Peavey Dyna Unity) and active EQ on the B4R).

Suggestions or just postings of what you guys are using would be great.

Elf2112

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Just 3 thoughts:

IMO a good bass with a good amp should sound fine without using the EQ too much or not using the EQ at all. I use the EQ to adapt to room acoustics only.

If you play at low volume or by yourself you may want to attenuate mids or add lows and highs, in a loud band you should do just the opposite (or attenuate the mids not too much). Just like using the 'loudness' button on your stereo. BTW many amps provide a 'contour' or 'shape' button or control to achieve this.

Avoid EQ-settings which look 'weired' - they often sound weired as well.

Matthias