EQ setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT, Jul 26, 2005.

1. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    on my randall 100w bass combo i have an 8 band eq does any one have a spefic setup for playing ska music cos i cant set an EQ up can someone send me a ska setup plz
  2. not sure what "ska music" is...

8-band EQ... going from left to right, those sliders (or knobs) go from deep bass to ultra highs. The sliders closest to the middle control midrange frequencies.
    There's no one specific setting for any type of music. This depends upon the sound you're after, the room's accoustics, and the sound from your bass. You might get the amp set up perfectly for your main practice room, only to find the sound is much different in another room. That's where the EQ really helps.

Good way to start is to set them all in the middle position (flat).. Make any other adjustments to your amp to get the best possible volume and sound, then listen.. If you aren't hearing enough deep lows, raise the lowest slider up just a touch.. Listen again..
    No treble or highs? Try raising the high slider up a touch. Same with mids, low-mids, high-mids, etc..
    It'll take some experimentation, but you should be able to figure out which frequencies do what..

3. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    To me, ska has a lot of bass thumping in the mix... All the strings get used and the bass lines are always moving...

Look up setups of our favorite punk / ska bassists and get their specs... The bassist from Sublime may be a good resource for how the bass tone you want should sound maybe even the tone from the bassist from Greenday. That is not necessarily in the same genre as what you want but is a good tone for that style.

It is all about what your bass sounds like with the band also... I have EQ'ed my bass where it sounds AWESOME but gets drowned out or fades into the mix when I am at practice.

If all else fails, trust your ears and do the following: EQ everything flat... No peaks or cuts. then get the feel or sound of what each EQ knob or whatever you have does... Then take the best of all those worlds and get the sound you want and fine tune it with the band.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  5. whats your definition of ska? bands like less than jake will have a more punky mid-boost usually, but i always think of proper ska ( ie, 2-tone, bands like the Specials etc) have a bit more thump as someone said, maybe a tad boost on the lows and mid lows