Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ suggestions and such for pick playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassistJ, Oct 15, 2002.

1. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    WARNING: I have no bloody idea where this thread is supposed to go so I just defaulted to GI. MOve it if you have to.

I've had a growing interest in playing pickstyle since seeing a couple vids of Chris Squire and the late John Entwistle (and since I got a pair of very tender blisters this weekend from a marathon upright gig). The problem is, however, that I just can't get it to sound good. What sounds phat and defined fingurestyle suddenly becomes much thinner and lacking in the bottom end (but with much more clank and grind) when I switch to pick. Is it an EQ issue? Technique? Equipment? Any and all advice is welcome (Well, barring the usual "don't" quip. :D )

Current setup in question:
    Fender Geddy Lee
    40-95 Rotosounds
    "green" Everly star picks
    Carvin Wireless
    2X Bass POD
    Carvin power amp
    1 2x10 cab, 1 1x15 cab

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    uh, how about Misc?

yeah that's the ticket........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you want to play with a pick, but keep the round full sound of playing with fingers, you might not want to adjust your EQ at all. You might find your answer in using felt picks instead of plastic ones.

4. I find just rolling off the tone knob a bit usually does the trick just fine.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Have you tried the "Carol Kaye" method of using a pick? I've tried it recently and with my setup (P-bass, Eden WT-800, Eden D410XLT) it had a good amount of bottom with my EQ flat. Check out her website at http://www.carolkaye.com/index.htm.

Click on education, then on her playing tips. On the first page tip 103 is a quick explaination. She touches on this method (and others) more than once throughout her tips, so scan them all and take in what's relevant to your issue. There will also be some pictures of her picking method.

Good luck in getting the tone you desire.

6. Ugh, Carol Kaye, in that lesson, she says how her method is right, and everything else is wrong. :rolleyes: I don't know how she got so popular for using such simple, uninspiring lines.

7. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Yeah, Carol does come off in sort of a "holier than" fashion, which bugged me as well. I'm just saying give it a shot.

As for how she got so popular, I honestly don't know. But I figured in most cases her line was written by someone else (I don't know how much artistic freedom a session player is given, and I'm not very familiar with anything she's done aside from session work.)

8. Alter the way that the pick moves through the string. Don't just hit the thing, but be aware of the angle at which the pick comes through, and how the string is "falling off" the pick. The string will respond very differently at the neck compared to at the bridge, so be aware of that.

I get a nice deep sound by using a coin, holding it with only a little bit free of my fingers, and picking just before the neck with a small, kind of dabbing motion.

Once you are satisfied with your picking AND your pick - try lots of different ones - then EQ away.

Lastly, try picking more gently and deliberately.

9. I used to have both my tones full up. But got sick of only that option. So i went to Cash Converters and picked up a stereo EQ for $20 and put it in my rack system.

I have the bands set in a lumpy kinda of M and it makes the pick sound thunder through.

:D:D

Merls