Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackmurray, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it in the search. I didn't want to ask my friends because they'd laugh at me so I'm asking you guys.

I don't know a thing about EQ. I mean, what sounds defferent mixes get and what EQ you would use for certain types of music. Anything you could tell me would be useful.

Thanks, Jack

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    EQ. Basically, it picks certain frequency ranges in your sound, and makes them selectively loder, rather than an overall volume boost. Want to rumble some things? 100 to 150 HZ is a good place to go. Want punch, around 800 or so.

3. Thanks for the reply.

Could you give me an answer in "High" "High-Mid" "Mid" etc.

What kind of setting would I use for slap?
    What kind for metal?
    Rock?
    Blues?
    Soloing?

Thanks, Jack

4. well, there are no definitive EQ set ups for a start. If everyone used the same EQ settings, then the world would be a pretty boring place.

I would say to you that you need to just futz with it - feel your way around it a bit. The best way to learn is to futz.

Personally, I use my EQ primarily to compensate for the room acoustics. Often you'll set up in a venue, hit a test note and all the glasses and bottles fall off the shelves at the back of the bar! This is not good, so you pull out a little low frequency to compensate for that naturally resonant room frequency.

Adjusting tone is secondary, but just as important. But, you have to keep in mind that your tone is often altered by the room in which you're playing - hence the two uses for EQ are distinct, but related.

Low frequencies (bass) are the ones you tend to feel a bit more than you hear. Maybe from 20hz up to around 150-200hz. From there to say 500-600hz is low mids, then up to 2-3khz is high mids, then the rest is highs (or treble). But, this is pretty loosely defined in most cases as it largely depends on the equipment you're using and what frequencies are offered up for adjustment.

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

If your friends will laugh at you about something like that, then they're not the kind of friends I'd want to be around... they probably don't know anyway!

6. Lol, I was joking. I'm just considered the technical guy and EQ must have gone straight over my head one day.

I'm greatful for all your help but I still don't have a very good idea about EQ yet. I'll phrase my question differently:

On Me and My Bass Guitar by Victor Wooten, what mix did he use (example bass boost, mid cut etc.)

What mix does John Myung use?

What does ACDC's bass player use?

What mix does Billy Sheehan use?

Thanks, Jack

7. man, that's even MORE specific!!! I would say that you'd have to ask Mr Wooten, Mr Myung, Mr ? and Mr Sheehan to get the answer. And even then, one has to ask what is the point?

Studio sounds are impossible to replicate live, even if you have all the same gear. When you start thinking about all the variable in a sound it just gets mind boggling. For starters, tone starts at the hands. If you don't have Billy Sheehans brain, hands and fingers, then you can just about forget about ripping his tone right there and then!

Strings, pickups, cables, effects, pre-amps, amps, cabs, mics, room dynamics, compression, eq, DI boxes, mixing desks, other processing gear, mastering processes, recording media etc etc etc etc. There's just too much to repliacte and meerly futzing with a graphic equaliser isn't going to do it.

8. Yes, but I think "futzing" with a graphic equalizer is a starting point. I don't want to replicate anyones sound, I just want to have a bit of an idea of what EQ to use if I'm playing a funky slap solo or if i'm pumping semi-quavers in my metal band.

How about this:

What style of music do you play and how do you have your EQ?

Jack

9. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Cliff Williams ;) Well, I think they chopped and changed a bit...

And imo, get your own sound from the EQ! You don't have to know the EQ inside out to get a decent sound from it. I'm overloaded with options atm... 3 band EQ + pan pot on my active Jazz, 3 band EQ on my effects unit (GT-6B) and a 12 band EQ, with compresion, valve and all sorts of stuff on my Trace amp...

There are quite a few posts in this forum (and in set up) regarding EQ... I posted one a few weeks ago actually...

10. Make it your own and to hell with what everyone else is doing. If you want to grind down picks to little stumps in your metal band with nothing but 680hz cranked, then do it - who knows, one day you might be famous for having unique, grinding tone!

Fact is, I set my EQ differently every day. Yeah, roughly it's always in a basic smiley faced shape - mid scoop, high and low boost - but the nuances change daily and depending on where I'm playing. I do play a lot of slap, but I don't EVER change my EQ during a gig or a jam unless there's something really bugging me. So, changing styles from slap to fingerstyle, or even grabbing a pick - nothing changes. Same goes for if we start jamming reggae after doing something funky - no appreciable changes.

Maybe a tweak of the treble on my bass - but that's it!

I guess what might help you is to think about it this way;

Really low lows are the ones you feel. Mid lows add thump and shake things in the room. higher lows add punch and accentuate attack.

Mid mids are all honky and sometimes nasty, but done nicely they accentuate string noise resulting in growl, or what I like to call "the creaky rocking chair" sound. High mids cut through a mix and if overdone start sounding clanky. But, they are essential if you wanna be heard, so use them with finesse.

Lower treble frequencys add that crispness you want for slap and aggresive picking (like your semi-quavers!) and are very interactive with the high mids - so check back in on the high mids while you're tweaking here. High treble often only adds hiss, but for active basses there is some signal content up here and it can be used to great effect.

I just don't beleive it's possible to give you the answer you seem to be looking for. Too many variables, too many styles, too many personal tastes etc.

11. Ok, I guess I'll just muck around with it untill I get something I like. My problem is (I may be crazy) is that after I hear about 5 different sounds they all start sounding similar and I can't really decide what's good. That's why I wanted a genral direction.

Thanks for your help, Jack

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    General direction advice:

Start with your EQ flat, and boost where you think it's lacking a bit. Make small changes and you'll soon find something you like.