Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SunneyBoy, Jan 13, 2006.

1. I feel a little stupid for asking this question since i have played bass for a no. of years but on my on my amp ,SWR Mo bass, i have 4 Eq knobs treble , bass , mids and then a knob to select the mid range frequency to be boosted.Now on each knob there is a 0 position and then turning right to boost , left to cut your select band .

I would like to Know if one is to cut a frequency isnt one "taking away" from the spectrum of frequencies that your bass produces . If so would'nt one want boost the desired frequencies rather than cut unwanted frequencies.

forgive me for this question iam technically challenged!

2. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Is it active or passive mid eq? SWR takes mids away from the bass anyway...that's their signature sound.

3. Rooms boost certain frequencies in an unnatural way. The amount of boost and frequency depends on the size, shape, and material of the room. In that case it is a good idea to locate and cut the offending frequency.

Even when not considering the room I find that usually 1 boosted frequency makes it harder to hear many other good overtones.

4. In general , the experts recommend that it is better to remove unwanted frequencies than to boost the desired ones.

By cutting at a particular frequency, you are gradually removing that portion of the audio spectrum (as you correctly noted.)

However, this is best done at a frequency which the playing environment has unnaturally boosted (such as in a boomy room).

By cutting the boom, you are thus "equalizing" the frequency response back to what it would have sounded like if the room weren't so boomy.

The same thing can be done with frequencies that are being cut by the playing environment. People tend to boost more than is necessary, however.

With bass, the most often cut frequencies tend to be in the midrange, because to most people it sounds far too "honky" or "telephone like" when the bass is played alone at a flat EQ setting.

Unfortunately, when this same sound is used live in a mix with other instruments the bass can disappear completely or otherwise sound unclear, because it is those same midrange frequencies that were cut that provide clarity and definition to the sound.